Tuesday, January 6, 2015

It's Tuesday everning here and the boys have just finished their second day of school.  We slept through the night finally last night and both are full of energy. After that first full day of shopping, we spent most of the next couple days in our new rooms - me cleaning and arranging and the boys on their electronics.  On Sunday, we took a walk to the boy's school - it takes about 10 minutes - and figured out the best way to get there.




I've taken some pictures of the apartments we are living in as well as the surrounding neighborhood that we see on the way to the boys school, Logos International.  I seem to be unable to post them directly into the blog, but you can get to them by following this link.  Hopefully, it works.  My plan is to post pictures as I take them, so I'll put the link in the blog when I get new shots.
Cambodian Pictures


What is amazing to me in our neighborhood are the very nice, fancy homes built right next to wooden shacks.  That and the mounds of trash in the streets and empty lots.  And also the heavy, heavy traffic on the main roads.  I've shopped for groceries both at the "Lucky" store where you can get practically anything you can get in the states if you are willing to pay enough for it (Cereal - $ 4 - 8 dollars a box); and at the local market where you can get beautiful vegetables and fruits - eggs and freshly slaughtered meats (they aren't so beautiful since there is no refrigeration and plenty of flies).  Some of the pictures are of the produce I bought and the meal made from them. 


The boys are liking the school so far.  Both have a couple of kids that they are becoming friends with.  After a moment of panic on Brian's part about the pre-algebra on Monday, today he was telling me how great it is and how much he thinks he'll learn.  I've met several of the teachers and they have given me their names and e-mails so I can ask them questions (like where to get haircuts and where is a good doctor).


I've had limited contact with the Leadership Academy students so far.   They were mostly all out of town until Sunday since school was out.  We were going to eat with them on Sunday evening, but the boys were too tired.  Several of the students have very good English vocabulary and two have volunteered to walk/take the boys to and from school.  Over the next week, I hope to be able to meet each of the 34 individually (with Phearith the coordinator who is fluent in both languages) and get to know them better - as well as figure out more my role with them and how to start shaping the open space into the English Zone.







No comments:

Post a Comment